Rebel Eldest looking very gorgeous….
My eldest (who is shaping up to be not-so-much of a rebel really) took me out for dinner last night.
It was to devour a ‘taster’ menu, cooked by her friend and colleague, Iain Richardson (currently Sous Chef at New Lanark Mill Hotel).
I was a bit (just a bit) suspicious of the motive behind the invitation. Disloyal? Ok. Yes…
My plea in mitigation? Meg has a wonderful history of breaking bad news at times and in places where you can’t go all feral on her…
But the girl done good last night. Oh my God how good she did.
The meal was a two hour slice of food heaven:
- Smoked Potato and Criffel Cheese Bonbons
- Pickled Melon, serrano ham and crispy pigskin
- Pate, Brioche and Onion Marmalade
- Arbroath Smokie Scotch Egg without the egg served with apple puree, horseradish and baby asparagus (with little deep-fried ‘hats’) and pea fondant
- Apple sorbet served in a hand-blown sugar apple – complete with little sugar-glass leaf!
- Ham hough tower with puree and confit of something
- Trio of beef (including shin and fillet) with the most amazing beetroot puree I have ever ever tasted and little potato medallions that were divine (I hate potatoes)
- Rum Baba
- Balsamic Ice-cream serveed with pistachio and chocolate and strawberry foam and jelly.
- Dark Chocolate, raspberry and salted caramel macaroon with chocolate fondant and raspberry coulis.
PS She did beg a favour – will you take my cat, Mum? – relieved it wasn’t some fresh rebel occurrence, I said OK…